July 22, 2014, 07:37:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email
News: VA4WDA Forums

Author Topic: Big Levels / Bald Mountain Trail in Glenwood-Pedlar Forest District  (Read 209 times)

Offline pcwolf

• VA4WDA Member
    • View Profile

This is what happens when wheelers misbehave and try to cut new trails on Public lands: You can slam the door shut on the people who come after you on the trail.

Here is the text description of a project the Ranger of this District is preparing for this trail:

"Whitmore, David -FS

Phil,

Since the winter has been real this year with lots of precipitation, we have not been able to accomplish any work to date on the Big Levels/Bald Mtn. Trail.  We hope to start some work over the summer.  The work is planned to accomplish several things:

1)      Block illegally opened and travelled roads
2)      Designate the legal roads for vehicular travel
3)      Improve the condition of the legal routes for conventional 4x4s
4)      Correct any drainage deficiencies
5)      Mark the legal routes through a combination of tree blazing and/or signage
6)      Erect small information boards at both ends of the road (near Blue Ridge Parkway intersection and near Coal Road intersection)

For a volunteer project,  I feel that your organization and member clubs could help us with items #5 and #6 at a minimum.  As part of the grant through the Recreational Trails Fund (motorized portion) through the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation, we (the Forest Service) have to have a certain percentage of the work accomplished through non-federal funds.  This could be through material donations from private entities, or through the value of volunteer labor from groups like yours. 

Another possibility that would benefit everyone would be to have a trail cleanup day, much like the one outlined below.

I really appreciate your willingness to work with us and apologize that I don’t have anything concrete in the works yet.  As a starting point, maybe you can gauge interest from this weekend’s meeting and get back to me about the above possibilities.  If interest is there, then I will be glad to provide some more definitive projects and timelines.  Thanks again,

David"

If your Club would like to take on some of these projects, please reply here on VA4WDA Forums or email to me:  Landuse@VA4WDA.org

THANKS!

-Phil Wolf
Land Use Coordinator
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:53:23 pm by pcwolf »

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder